Applying for a Social Security Number

It is recommended that you apply for a Social Security number at the beginning of your program year. Social Security numbers are required in order to file taxes, and are necessary in many states to obtain a state driver’s license or open a bank account.

To obtain a Social Security number, you must go to the nearest Social Security office with your passport, I-94 card, DS-2019 form, and Social Security Letter from Cultural Care Au Pair (available in your online account). You will have to fill out an application form, which is available at the Social Security office nearest you. Au pairs should wait at least 10 days from the date you enter the United States before filing an application with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The SSA cannot verify your status with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) until at least 10 days after the date of entry.

In order to grant the Social Security number, the SSA must verify your visa status. If you are told that you are not in the system or that your status cannot be verified, you should ask to have your status verified through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) instead. Your Social Security number application will then be faxed to a central office to be verified. This process may take several days or weeks.

If you experience a problem when applying for a Social Security number, please contact the Operations Department at 800-448-5753 and we will try to assist you.

Friday, 11 March 2011 12:00 PM


Leave a reply